Unless it's photographed by me, all pictures are taken from vi.sualize.us or Google Image

Monday 30 March 2015

Am I marriage material?

What do you think if a guy tells you that he is now actively looking for a girlfriend-to-be-wife at the very early stage of friendship you have with him? 

I met with some guy today for a dinner. Well, he's a friend I know from work actually. He was a new staff at my workplace and worked for only two weeks before he got terminated. For whatever reason, I didn't know until today. During the two weeks I have worked with him 3 or 4 times and we talked once during a break. We talked about work. 

A few days after he got terminated, he messaged me. (He asked my number while he was still working.) I asked him what happened and he asked to meet up. So today we eventually did meet after two cancelled plans because we're both equally busy. We talked a bit more about work, then he told me what happened with work. It's a long story so I'm not going to write it here. The point is he was no longer given any shift. Well, that's the reason behind the meeting. 

Then we talked a bit more. Well, it was more like he started asking me questions like why did I choose Australia, what was the reason behind me moving in here and then some follow up questions after I answered him. Didn't expect to be asked such questions, I gave him vague answers of course. At that time, I thought he was just trying to make a conversation. 

I don't remember exactly how did we get to talk about marriage and stuff. But I do remember he asked about my age. All of sudden he started talking about his plan on getting married at the age of 27 and is now starting to look for a potential candidate. He's two years younger than me, by the way. And to my astonishment, he also asked me when do I plan to get married and all. I told him honestly I haven't thought about getting married because I'm too busy with uni and work, that I'm not ready -- mostly financially. Well, that's slightly true . . . I mean, even if it's legal for gay marriage here I don't think I'm ready to marry a woman either. Dating is a thing but marriage is something. But anyway, of course I didn't tell him that. 

After I told him my view about marriage, he then said that I should start opening myself up for some guy. As I quote, "you can start looking while doing uni and work. It's a good thing to build life together from a scratch." I was at loss of word and all I could say at that time was I'll see. Absolutely didn't see it coming from him. 

Now that I'm recalling our conversation, I realised that all his questions seem to be purposely asked to get to know me more. Isn't it? Or is it just me? Was I unknowingly falling into his screening session? As I recall him saying if I start looking now and in a year I'm still only 29, so it's still alright. Mind you, he's turning 26 and planning to get married in 27. Sounds to me like he was telling me a scenario or something. Didn't he? 

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure he's not a creep. At least he doesn't look like one. In fact, he seems like a polite, nice guy -- a marriage material kind of guy. In terms of appearance, well, he's a few inches shorter than me. But other than that I think he's the kind of guy I would consider, if I'm into guys. 

Whatever it is, I should be more careful not to falsely lead him into something that I don't wish for. That if we keep in touch after today. Like I said, it was the first time we met and had proper conversation. I'm up for friendship of course. But I have to seriously consider keeping a safe distance. 

It is not that I'm too self-conscious, that I'm a hundred percent sure that he's considering me to be his future wife. Although, the idea of me fit his future wife criterion is utterly amusing. To know that I'm the kind of woman that a man would want to marry is entertaining, if not funny. Because I'm not into marriage -- to a man or woman, like ever. Not sure if it's going to change one day, though. One thing for sure is, I don't think I'm marriage material. 

Or maybe because I haven't met the right person to make me willingly let loose of my single-ship . . . .

Bleh. 

Anyway, it was just some interesting story and is probably meant nothing. Maybe it was just a sharing session between two friends. I have nothing to worry about. Right?

Until next post. 

2 comments:

bybyq said...

I did not think about marriage at all until two years ago. And, even now I am married, I still do not believe that marriage institution is as important as it is perceived by many people.

This is interesting... really interesting...

hm... *wear my thinking cap* *leave without saying goodbye*


Rae said...

Hehe it's just because I was talking to a fellow Indonesian, Byq. So I had to put my Indonesian cloak over and see with my Indonesian glasses. Other than that, for me legal marriage is all about, well . . . legal stuff.