Unless it's photographed by me, all pictures are taken from vi.sualize.us or Google Image

Monday 6 April 2015

Bulgogi

For only-God-knows reason, I'm being called "Bulgogi" at work. How in the world did they get the idea of naming me Bulgogi, I have no idea whatsoever. They say it rhymes with my name -- real name. Rhymes how, I can only imagine. It all started when Mr. J solely baptised me with "Maria" and then it went to many different names afterward. So every month they are going to find me a name and by the end of the year I will compile all the names together. It's been going on for four months now.

Anyway, it's just a thing we all have for fun. Somehow it bonds us together and I'm fine with it. After a couple of times being called that name, I start answering to the name.

In return, though, I sometimes pull a prank on them. Well, it always ends up with them paying me a revenge. A couple of times they went way too much and felt bad about it. It's alright. As long as I can take it and it's only for fun. No hard feelings. It sets everyone at loose after a busy day. I don't do this kind of thing in other work place.

One thing for sure is, they're going to miss all the fun and jokes and pranks they throw at me when I no longer work there.

That workplace, despite the lack of management skill from its manager (and that is probably the downside of working in there), is a place that full with sense of belonging from its staff. Mr. J himself, as the sole owner, is a good person. He cares for his people and often helps his staff out with their personal matters, when he's able to of course. Some staff have been working for him for many years. The longest one has worked for over 5 years. She quit when she was having a baby and has returned back to work now that her child is a year and half.

I'm not saying that the workplace is the nicest and best workplace ever. There is always a flaw of course. It gave me a lot of stress and pressure last year, even more stressful than my study. But I learned to be professional and not taking personally whatever shit happen at work. What happens at work, stays at work. Once I punch out, my shift is over and I let go off everything that is work related.

I was going to quit but then I thought, that's how any workplace would be. There is always stress and pressure and all the kind of mumbo jumbo a workplace has. There is always paradox, as well as cohesion, between the workers in a workplace that can either bond all the people working in the place together, or shatter them. Well, the ones who stay with Mr. J have bonded a good relationship with each other and that what makes the place still running, after 11 years. So I stay and learn form the weaknesses, and at the same time preparing myself for a bigger and better job.

For myself, it's the place where I met Nana (she came in the same time as me last year) and Tab. Now that we have 8 new staff, we're all getting to know each other. For some reason, I feel like I can be myself working in that place. For instance, I'm out to them. Well, more likely Mr. J accidentally figured out I'm gay and from him almost everyone knows now. And the ones who know, they're all okay with it. Another thing that I like is, no one gives a damn about anyone's religion or personal belief whatsoever. Many of them are non-believers, but like I said, no one cares.

One of the similar things we all have in common is obsessive compulsive. I am obsessive compulsive -- to a certain level (it's something that I would like to talk about sometime), and so are Mr. J and some other staff. We know what things that bother who (that's why they're able to prank me) and we all try to adjust with each other.

All in all, we all get along just fine, despite the cultural differences.

One particular staff that I've been working with since day 1 of this year, and somehow whom I have developed a good friendship with, is Vivi. She used to work for Mr. J before but she quit because she had to work somewhere else that is related to her study field. When she finished the contract and is now applying for PR, she came back to work for Mr. J.

Unfortunately, last Thursday was her last day to work. She failed her IELTS test in order to apply for PR so she has to fly back to her home country. (This also reminds me that I have to take the test sooner than later.) We got together today, along with Nana, and went out for lunch. With the theme of "Bulgogi", we went to the same Korean restaurant that Nana, Alice and I went to have dinner last time; Mook Ji Bar. It was like a farewell lunch before she flies home next week. But she will keep doing the test until she gets the required score for PR, and hopefully I will see her again back in Melbourne.

We ordered squid bulgogi, chicken soup with ginseng and sweet and spicy chicken crispy. Also, we had a little bit of cider to warm us all. We were almost going for soju but decided against it. It wouldn't be such a good idea considering it was only a little after 12 and I had to study after lunch, and Nana was having upset stomach after drinking too much water with basil seed (???).

Photo courtesy: Vivi

As always, the food was delicious. The chicken was crispy and nice and addicting. The soup came with a whole piece of chicken breast, cooked until the meat is super soft that you can easily peel it off with chopstick. And the squid bulgogi, was a yum. I now declare have developed a tremendous fond of Korean food and particularly that restaurant. Next time I will have to try a Korean barbie (I mean, BBQ).

Well, that's all about it. I was actually meant to only write about the lunch but look, it's evolved to a more big and deep meaning post about work. The art of blogging and writing, I would say.

Anyhow, I really wish Vivi all the best and may she pass the test and come back here in no time.

Until next post. 

2 comments:

bybyq said...

Wait... you still have to do an IELTS test, even if you are graduated from a uni in Aussie? That's odd...
All I needed to do is to show my masters degree award to Home Office to prove that I do speak English...

Rae said...

Yup. Unfortunately we all have to take the test, even for just a TR, with different score requirement; 6 for each band for TR and all 7 for PR, at minimum.

Dodgy. But it's the way the government keep the standard.m Not to mention they make it even more complicated and they change the regulation every year. But, I guess, it's all worth the effort, considering there are many, many people trying to get into PR for many different reason. One is being the healthcare.