Unless it's photographed by me, all pictures are taken from vi.sualize.us or Google Image

Thursday 18 December 2014

Nana's Graduation

Yesterday was Nana's graduation day. Along with the other 6,600 graduands, she celebrated the graduation held at Etihad Stadium. I was there as a Stage Marshal, being part of the ceremony staff and therefore I was able to celebrate the moment with her. Her parents couldn't make it to the ceremony but her godfather was there for her, too.

Having be able to complete her study of Master of Engineering in Telecommunication and Network Engineering (whatever it is), must be such an accomplishment for her. She's admitted the degree with distinction and that somehow makes me so proud of her. I really am happy for her. Although, at the same time I'm a little sad because starting next semester I wouldn't have my study buddy. We used to stay at the postgraduate lounge until late at night to study; me doing whatever it was that is related to accounting and her doing journals or assignment reports. There were days and even weekends we spent at the lounge to study. But granted, I still am happy and excited for her.

It was my first time attending a graduation ceremony. The ceremony was grandiose. Held at the biggest stadium in Australia, along with around 25,000 attendants that evening, I witnessed the unforgettable memory of all graduands and their families. It was such a colorful night, with red and white color lights dominated the ceremony (that's my university's colors). There was a moving main stage at the center of the field for PhD graduands, filled with bright lights. There were also 14 stages for Diploma, Bachelor and Master students, one for each discipline (I was stationed at Stage F) surrounding the main stage. The ceremony started with PhD graduands, Academics and the Chancellor entering the field, walking on a red carpet. Followed by speeches, recognitions -- where the graduands receive their testamurs -- and then an after party.

With all the glorious nuance, I couldn't help but feeling excited for them all. Although, I reckoned half of the graduands clearly have no idea of what they're going to do after graduate. But it was a night to celebrate after years of hardworking and suffering. I also bumped into some other friends and acquaintances who were graduating last night. After the ceremony, I was out of duty and fled to meet with Air and congratulate her. We took pictures and celebrated a bit. I was invited for a party with some other friends afterwards but I was exhausted and decided to go home.

I now know what to expect when my own graduation comes next year. There was a little thought of how amazing it would be if I could be one of the Honorable Doctorate graduands. I imagine how proud Mum would be of me, seeing her only daughter getting honored. I'd definitely dedicate my speech for her. Well, it's not totally impossible but it might takes a very, very long time. Master program itself is a really bumpy road already. I just can't wait to graduate. Yet, until then, I still have another year to go. Another semester to battle on.

Until next post.

No comments: