Unless it's photographed by me, all pictures are taken from vi.sualize.us or Google Image

Sunday 31 January 2016

My First Pride

After considering to bail on my friend last time, I eventually made it to the Pride. Yep, it was my first Pride and although I wasn't so keen on going, nevertheless I had a good time. 

The Pride, and of course there was a march, took place in St Kilda. We got there at around 1:30 p.m. and there were already thousands of people gathering at the assembly area. Bill Shorten, an Australian politician, leader of Labor Party, was also in sight for a moment. What was he doing there is unknown but his party has been actively supporting marriage equality. Politic aside, everyone seemed to have a good time. 

I was introduced to a few people there and was invited to go along to march with their group, which I politely declined. Then in the far, I recognised some people from uni, including the lady who was once my counselor (and she still remembers me!), they are there representing the uni's Queer Department. I went to say hi and, again, was invited to march. In the end, I ended up joining them halfway the march. How weird could it be marching with your counselor? It was definitely awkward. A bit. 


There were about a hundred and more groups that participate in the march, including several government bodies. Of course, my favourite ones are the Victoria Police and the paramedics. I mean, women in uniform? Duh. 

Seeing all this, I get the feeling at that moment that things are far better now than it was years ago for LGBTIQ, at least in some countries. And I'm lucky enough to be living in a city that is not only cultural diversed, but also has gay friendly environment. 

We didn't stay for the after party because my friend has to work tomorrow and I myself was not in the mood for party and so we left for home. Well, this is definitely another tick on my bucket list. 

Happy Pride!

Until next post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Lucky you to be there where everybody seems open and fine with that diversity. However, we're here in Indo still has a looooonggg way to go to finally get there. And poorly, our research minister and some of 'beloved' official tried to banned everything related to LGBT. Stay there cause this is sad country 😅

Cheers!

Rae said...

Well, that's the plan! :D

Cheers,
Rae

bybyq said...

Congratulations on popping your "pride's cherry"!!